Sunday, June 7, 2009

DIY Green Tea Toner

Sinc Bragg's ACV toner did not work for me, I continued searching for another naturally-made toner and this is what I found.

How I do it:
I drop one tea bag to a cup of hot water. Leave it for about 10 minutes.
Remove the tea bag. Drink about 3/4 of it and the rest I let cool.
Once cooled, I transfer it into a clean atomizer/spritz bottle (available at Watson's P35-P45)
I then pour the contents of Fern-C 500mg capsule, shake and store in the fridge.
I apply it cold after washing my face.
I just spray it directly to my face or use a cotton ball.
I let my face dry.
Note: Any brand of green tea and Vitamin C will do. I just use Lipton and Fern C because that is what I have.


Why it should work:
Benefits of Green Tea to the Skin
Green tea contains a cocktail of potent antioxidants called catechins, which help fight damage caused by free radicals and ultimately skin cancer. It has antiseptic properties, so can be used to treat minor cuts and rashes, and can be effective when applied to spots and blemishes. It is also shown to neutralize the damage done by exposure to UV rays. These are just some of the benefits, you get the point.

My Experience: At first I tried the toner without the Vitamin C and I think that it works better with it coz I noticed that it helped tone down the redness of my small yet flaring zit (grr!). Anyway, my face feels sticky when I apply the toner, like my face is tightening up a little bit. It's sweet smell, which gradually fades away as the toner dries up, also adds up to that sticky feeling. This bothered me at first, cause I was afraid that ants might feed on my face when I sleep. Thank god they didn't, so now I am able to sleep soundly.

Why I Love: It is cheap and natural and the effect is instant. My face looks a little bit shiny, but its not because of oil. It is like the light reflection produces a glow, specially on the cheek area. It also makes my face look cleaner and calmer. Applying it cold regularly helps in making my pores look smaller.

Why I Hate: First, it has a short shelf life so I have to make a fresh new batch every 3 days. I am not a tea-drinker so I have to give time to make one. Second, it does not control my oilies. After 3 hours of staying at home on a rainy day, I am still able to use up half of a Clean and Clear blotting film (yuck!). Lastly, it doesn't do much in lessening and preventing blackheads and whiteheads.

Ingredients: 1 cup hot distilled water, 1 Lipton green tea bag, 1 Fern-C capsule
Availability: Available in leading supermarkets and drugstores.
Price: Lipton Green Tea is P67-P70 for 10 bags.

Since I have no other toner to use, I will stick with this one until I find my HG.

The benefits of green tea are quoted from the following sites:
http://www.ivillage.co.uk/beauty/skincare/aging/articles/0,,547681_642867,00.html
http://www.amazing-green-tea.com/green-tea-skin.html

9 comments:

  1. wow! i love you diy home beauty recipes. keep up the good work! hope you could follow my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi sis!:) Great DIY recipe!:) Regarding your question on how to follow, if you're signed in to your Blogger account, you can usually see a bar at the top of your screen that says Search Blog, Flag Blog, Follow Blog, etc. Just click on Follow Blog.:) Or if the user has the "Following" gadget installed in his/her site, there will be a small box usually located in the sidebar which displays his/her followers and also a button that says "Follow" which you can click to likewise follow that blog. You can install that gadget on your site by clicking on "Layout" from your Blogger Dashboard, or, if you're viewing your blog and you're logged in to Blogger, by clicking "Customize" at the top right portion of your screen.:) Hope this helps!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi again haha.:D RYC, yeah that's the one! Sayang sis you didn't buy, but maybe she still has some variants left.:) I think it's worth it if you just want to try the product because the regular sizes being sold in malls are really expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love DIY recipes, esp coz they're pure. I should try this one day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you should definitely try this it's a good substitute if you run out of toner hehe

    ReplyDelete
  6. cge il try this one mukang madali lng gawin..

    ReplyDelete
  7. yup definitely easy. but you have to make a new one every 3 days. just to be sure that it's fresh

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey sis. ako i use dickinson's witch hazel toner. my face was less oily and blackheads are almost gone. but this version of yours is very cheap! i might try this and let's see.

    ReplyDelete