Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar (Organic) Toner and Hair Rinse

I've never used a toner in my life, not until I discovered Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV), which is by the way just about a month ago. I came to know about this multi-purpose product on Girltalk and have read good reviews about it in drying up pimples and minimizing the appearance of pores, so it only took a while before I bought a bottle for myself. The recommended brand is Bragg's because it is organic and unfiltered. It contains "the mother" which are like apple deposits. So if you spot this brand and see some floating residue on top, don't be afraid, that is just normal.

Recipe for ACV Toner:
Be sure to shake the bottle to mix up "the mother".
Mix 1 part distilled/mineral water to 1 part ACV
For sensitive skin, just increase amount of water.
Green tea can replace water to alleviate its strong smell.
Recommended to be used at night followed by a moisturizer.

My Experience: I combined 3 parts water to 1 part ACV so the solution would not be harsh. The smell is still strong but not as pungent as compared to the pure one. For me, it smells like stinky feet, but the odor goes away after it dries up (about 3-5 minutes). I think I like the smell of pure ACV though coz I like vinegar. On the first night, I felt a little tightening on my face and I did not use any moisturizer afterwards. The result: the next day I saw that it lessened the redness of my pimples. I also saw an improvement on my pores. They became less visible. My skin was getting better the next 3 days. My face looked cleaner and the small red pimples were gone without a mark. Yey! However, I experienced negative effects about a week of using it. I saw more blackheads on my nose and my pores got enlarged (larger than the original). I continued using it thinking that it might be just a purging stage, and after all the ugliness would be glorious beauty. But after two days I gave up on ACV as a toner. I can't stand seeing my face on the mirror every morning with very visible pores. It is frustrating coz it was larger than its original state. The black spots on my nose were also very distressing. But I think it does well in treating pimples. But that is not my main problem so goodbye to ACV toner.

I found out that ACV can also be used in removing shampoo residue.

How I do it:
3 caps full of ACV to a dipper of water.
After shampooing and squeezing out the excess water I dip my hair in the solution.
And then I pour the rest on my head.
I do a little massaging and let it stay for about a minute or so.
And then I rinse it out and apply my regular conditioner.
Rinse after 3-5 minutes.
I do this once a week.
For a more convenient and controlled application you might also want to try putting it in a spray bottle.

My Experience: I am so glad I tried this. At first I was hesitant coz the smell of vinegar might stay on my hair. But after conditioning, the smell is all gone and what I have is silky, shiny and soft hair. No exaggeration! Better than just using plain conditioner and my hair feels so light and healthy! Two thumbs-up!

Ingredients: Certified Bragg Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar is unfiltered, unheated, unpasteurized and 5% acidity. Contains the amazing Mother of Vinegar which occurs naturally as strand-like enzymes of connected protein molecules.
Packaging: Looks like a rugby bottle to me. It looks like it is bought at a hardware rather than at a supermarket. It might not fit to be put beside your other skincare products so better try transferring it into a more attractive container. But if you are not bothered by its appearance then you can
store it as it is. For the toner though you must make a solution in another container.
Availability: Rustan's Supermarket and Healthy Options.
Price: P135-P150 for a 473 mL bottle. Very affordable coz it can be used for months.

I would repurchase because I was impressed with the results on my hair. I plan to do this twice a week once school starts. As for the toner I still try to do it twice a week. I guess the hope is still there.

2 comments:

  1. I've always known about this vinegar rinse thingy. I just wasn't that open to trying it for fear that the strong pungent smell of the vinegar will stick to my hair. I'm glad to have read your review :)

    By the way, I used to take in 2tablespoons of ACV to cleanse my system.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is true. acv aids in dieting but i don't drink it coz i am acidic.
    don't worry it won't smell if you put conditioner after. haven't tried it w/o conditioner though, coz i am already liking the effects of my routine :)

    ReplyDelete